How much will your school get thanks to the Welsh Lib Dems?

Even though we're not part of the Welsh Government, we've managed to secure our flagship Pupil Deprivation Grant to support pupils from deprived backgrounds with reading and numeracy skills. Read more

Reducing the risk of Carbon Monoxide poisoning


This is an article for Seaside News

I recently wrote to Housing Minister suggesting that the Housing Bill, which is due later this year makes the installation of Carbon Monoxide detectors mandatory when any appliance that might produce the gas is installed in existing homes.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning causes 50 deaths, 200 serious injuries and 4,000 minor injuries a year, costing the health service in England and Wales £178 million annually in medical and care costs not to mention the degree of suffering and grief caused to victims and the families of those who die.

Any new solid fuel appliance must come with a Carbon Monoxide detector but that does not apply to other fuel types at present.

A change in the regulations to require that the mandatory installation of a detector with all at-risk appliances, and a programme of installing hard-wire detectors in all social housing in Wales could make a big difference and save lives.

Here in Wales, we have smoke detectors fitted as standard in many of our houses, and a law requiring sprinklers in new build accommodation.

A further statutory provision requiring much cheaper Carbon Monoxide detectors to be fitted would seem a logical next step towards ensuring improved safety in homes throughout Wales.


Share this post on social media:

Sign in with Facebook, Twitter or Email.